Thursday, May 3, 2012

Canvas and Digital Storytelling

I split this session, which again had many things I wanted to learn about. First I went to hear Renee Carney from Lower Columbia speak on transitioning to Canvas. I mostly wanted to hear the concerns expressed by folks in the room to give me an idea of what might be worrying faculty at Seattle Central as we prepare to transition. I want the process to be as stress free as possible and the better we understand people's concerns, the better we will be able to address them.

Then I went to a session on digital storytelling. Usually I am very strategic about the sessions I choose - how will this session help me directly in my teaching or how will it help me to help other people. This session just looked cool. I had no idea how I would use it, though I do now (I'm going to integrate it into my service learning project).  The presenters, Lisa Predovich and Lakeisha Jackson from the College Success Foundation, talked about the process of teaching student to tell stories using the 6 word memoir as an example (mine was "share - what have you got to lose?). They showed examples of student digital storytelling that was incredibly powerful.  I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit something so complex into my summer course, but I am definitely going to think about it for fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment