Thursday, May 3, 2012

Qualitative methods to assess student learning

I attended the pre-session on Wednesday. The session, put on by Bill Moore from the State Board and Robin Jeffers from Bellevue College, focused on research methods related to the qualitative data that faculty tend to gravitate towards. 


They offered hands on opportunities to form research questions along with the chance to evaluate some real data from undergraduate research going on at Bellevue College. The session was helpful in giving me a framework for using some of my methods courses from grad school in a practical manner in the classroom (which was what I was hoping it would do).  


While I know that people tend to push back against the evidence culture that seems to be evolving, Bill and Robin showed how this kind of data can really inform improved teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment