Thursday, October 18, 2012

Evaluating open texts

Dilbert - i like to have opinions, but not informed opinions. http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2012-10-07/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DilbertDailyStrip+%28Dilbert+Daily+Strip%29

This session is dissertation research on the quality of open textbooks and how to measure that. I was hoping that he would present us with the

8 themes with two groupings

Technology ( related to the digital nature of the book)
Navigation
Access
Performance
Interaction

Content ( would be in any textbook)
Revelance
( other items that I didn't catch)
The research is still in process, so the takeaway that I wanted, how to evaluate the quality and could I use the tool to evaluate open course library resources.

The second part was also on adopting open textbooks in community colleges. Research showed that the adoption of Flat World Knowledge books had positive outcomes. I am using a Flat World knowledge text in my American Government class, so it is always nice to see this kind of info.

No comments:

Post a Comment